In this recipe for summer-in-a-bowl, the pickiest of eaters’ favorite (watermelon) and the least favorite (tomato) will come together in a mixture they just might adore. Throw in a little basil from the community garden to make it even more summery! Recipe is courtesy of The New York Times.
- 4 to 6 large tomatoes cut into cubes
- 1 small seedless watermelon, cut into cubes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 cup feta cheese, torn into large crumbles
1. Combine the cubed tomatoes and watermelon in a large, nonreactive bowl and toss gently to combine. Add salt and let stand 5 to 10 minutes while you prepare the dressing.
2. Whisk together the oil and vinegar and season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Add the cheese to the tomatoes and watermelon, then the dressing, and toss gently to combine.
Sophie’s comments: I don’t know why exactly, but I always equate watermelon with July. While I usually love my melon as is, this salad was a fun break from the norm. The salt adds something special.